Tunnel Vision

Last week a fellow journalist died in a car accident.
A lot of people at my job knew him as a kid from SIUC who died in that terrible accident the other day but I actually knew that kid, Ryan Rendleman. I went to school with him, I worked with him at the school newspaper and most times I talked about him on the phone with my girlfriend because that Rendleman was truly a trip. 

His passing made me realize how quickly our lives can be taken away from us and how I really haven't done much to contribute to society, or to my obituary if I were to die today. 

When I hear about someone my age or younger being pregnant, getting married or doing something that I would consider a grown up act, I gawk at how advanced they are, in a negative way, when I should really be getting just like them because life is so short! 

I am in my early 20's, just graduated from college, have never lived out of Illinois, have never smoked, don't have any tattoos, interesting piercings or children. 

This girl at my job is in her late 20's and she said she married, had two children, lived in two states and had divorced by the time she was my age. I don't know if she was capitalizing on the fact that she was stupid or that I was slow... because initially I was thinking the first but now I am realizing that I should have been thinking the latter. 

So on that note, tomorrow I am going to get a tattoo! 
hahaha my mother would kill me. Am I too old to be scared of my mother?
Anyway, I am not going to change my life, but I will look at things with a much older eye and try to do more adult things because I am still living in the (I want to say college world but since kids are having kids in grammar school I'm gonna have to say) kindergarden world when people "our" age just don't do that. 

But people do die... there is no age limit on that, so I am sad that someone close to me died but I thank Ryan Rendleman for allowing me to see the light before I entered the tunnel. 

Comments

Foia said…
Wow..Interesting post. I took the latter route. Got engaged to a college professor @ Emory University @ 19 yrs old. I quit school and moved to GA.When I was 20 I had my daughter. I'm finishing school now and I'm cool with that. I wanted kids young, and plus I got my shape back..

Anyway you go girl..what ever you do decided..life is short..

By the way I'm Foia
dag, cars, i was hit by a car once, broke my maxillia, lost 4 teeth, was in acoma, said i wouldnt walk again - i was walking
Hey Foia, nice to meet you sister. That sounds like one heck of a life... one that I couldn't imagine.

Torrance, that's terrible but you are living so it definitely could have been worse. Ryan was rear-ended by a truck while behind a truck so he really had no chance.
Don said…
sorry to hear about your friend, aerialm. i read where i says that God had changed him. if you write about him - i imagine he was special.

So on that note, tomorrow I am going to get a tattoo! you already have a tat. those dreamy looking eyes of you. the new banner is sweet. live. enjoy. life.
Hey Don, thanks for reading the actual article, I didn't know him before he became a Christian so all that I can recall have been since "God changed him" as the article reads. But he was a cool cat.
You call my "dreamy eyes" a tat? That's funny, and thanks I'm glad you like the new banner, i went through like 10 photos before I chose that one.
Don said…
yes the article was both sad and inspiring. does that make sense?

your eyes are your natural tat. i have yet to see anyone with eyes like yours. maybe i'm not too good with analogy.

i have yet to see 1 bad pic of you. hold up, mannnn i am sounding like a groupie. ugh. lol.
Ahaha everyone has been a groupie at least once in their life so don't feel bad. I love the love, thank you very much

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

In Thickness and in Health