Stop the presses

Why do people hold their tongues? I mean are we not all adults here?
I find it hard to believe that one can not say the word "white" around White people? True if a White person said "black" around me I would open my ears a little wider,  but I wouldn't shun them for saying a word in the dictionary that in some cases might refer to me. I hate when my best friend shushes me or shakes his head in disapproval when I do the aforementioned. What's so wrong with it? 

Today at work a White lady said to three Black women that her husband doesn't like her cats because they are black and he believes that black cats are bad luck. I felt a little different at first but I wasn't mad, it didn't make me uneasy like one of the other Black women. I thought it was stupid but she didn't make the sTuperstition up... notice the capital T because superstitions are stupid. Just think about one for a second: "step on a crack break your mothers back"... I mean come on, how many of us have did jumping jacks on as many cracks as possible when we were mad at our mothers. I know I did, and her back is still in tact and has been my whole life. 

In what paper do people read these things, that you can't say this and you can't say that. Well stop the presses on that publication because this is 2008! What hasn't happened already probably won't be happening anytime soon, and if it is, saying "white" around White people ain't gone stop it. What really needs to be said is "That's right girl say it louder" because the more we get familiar with the terminology, the less foreign it becomes. The more we say it, the more we believe it. The more comfortable I am, the more comfortable they will be. 

If I somehow lost you, what I'm trying to say is open up and stop living in the black and white world, the first color t.v. debuted in the 1950's. Did you miss that movement? What happened to Annie Get Your Gun: "Anything you can do I can do better," now it's "No you can't say that." And that's bogus... well except for the "n word" but that's a whole nother day's worth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health