Never forget where you come from

I will never go back.
I will never return to the place where I already spent 20 years of my life.
I will move on, move forward with my life in anticipation for the next 20 years.

When I said this to all of my friends and family they looked at me like I was crazy, especially the ones who were from Chicago. "What!? You'll never find a better city than Chicago." "What about me?" my best friend asked. "What about your sisters and brothers?" another person asked. Trust me when I get enough money I will send for them.

I mean really how can I experience the world only living in one state? Illinois journalists don't make that much money and all I would report is crime crime and more crime. My father resides in Georgia and I am so proud of him for exiting his comfort zone. I have thought about moving near him but trife just might mooch me out of house and home (love ya daddy). My aunt lives in Texas so I was thinking of moving there but Texas is so big that I would still be five hours away from her so what's the point? Then there is my aunt who lives in Ohio... but I have yet to find a good enough paper in Ohio for me.

I am not leaving Chicago because I don't like it so don't get me wrong because Chicago IS the bomb. The winters are full of snow and icy goodness and the summers are to die for with fireworks, long walks on the pier and windy winds that take your breath away. But I must move on.

Every artist reps where they come from... it's a must! But people like Kanye in his latest video makes you really miss Chicago if you no longer live there. It had me thinking of the first time I saw the Bean at Millennium Park, spent $30 just to sample things at the Taste of Chicago when I eat them on a regular basis for cheaper or when I was a babysitter for a summer taking those demon children to the Sears Tower. If you've never been, shame on you because you are definitely missing out... let Kanye spits a few bars about our wonderful city that I will dearly miss and never forget.

Comments

Tyno92 said…
"I will not spend my life in the same state I was born". I spoke this as a small child. From a biblical perspective all the greats left their homeland. Roots of a plant will not expand if it is kept in the same pot.
Amanda said…
Nice touch with the Kanye video and by the way love the new picture.
Don said…
I agree. When I leave this city @ the end of the year I am never, ever, coming back. Maybe, for a funeral. I plan on taking nothing but the memories.
Tyno - I know you have that moving tendency
Amanda - Thank you lady
Don - What about a wedding? lol
Don said…
Not even a wedding.
Lisa said…
You definitely know how I feel about expanding your horizons! I can't even believe that its 2008 and I know people who have never even been out of Illinois!

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health