What were you born to be?

I'm sure everyone has had a moment when you ask yourself "What were you born to be?"

Well today was my first real day of work after one week of training when typical trainees have up to six months under their belt before their first real day, so you can just imagine what kind of day I just had.  It was definitely an experience, as I am the youngest employee in the whole building, one of four trainees who were thrown into the position after minimal training and the only fool with number dyslexia discombobulating every number in the book for four straight hours. 

I am almost positive that I made a lot of patient people impatient with my constant inconsistencies and hand full of "can you please" holds. But I have to say I am very proud of myself for getting through this day because they only get worse from here.

It humors me when people who have been doing the job for more than 20 years tell me it's not that bad and they hope I stick around, which to me are two statements that cancel each other out. First of all I'm outta this state in five months so say what you want but I'm long gone whether I like it here or not, Second, you don't know how bad it is because the way your were taught 20 years ago has nothing to do with my skills and training today so back off old lady and Third, you hope I stick around because the last trainee class of 13 has a remaining count of four which means something has to be running these people away. 

All I know is that this job is not the one that was created for me, but I'm not going to give up just yet because I know that the skills and terminology that I am learning can only help me find what it really is that I was born to be. I mean we all can't be presidents, doctors and lawyers... or can we?... Obama 08!

Comments

Don said…
I like your tone. You dont appear to be someone big on contentment. And thats a good thing, imo.

No, we all cant all be presidents, doctors, lawyers. And shame on anyone foolish enough to believe thats possible.

One statement definitely cancels the other out. I didnt pick up on that until you pointed that out. I have to stop saying it now to people who tell me similar.

Experience will treat number dyslexia
Well I have been working wit numbers here and there for years and my "self diagnosed" dyslexia has not went away yet... so I hope you are right Don.
Don said…
Experience is a good teacher. Right?

And did you see how Hillary was smiling last night. Ugh. I hate that lady. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health