"You just do you, umma do me" -Rocko

When I was little I thought that you grew up when you turned a certain age, but that age is different when it comes to girls and boys, which made me think that you grew up when you acted like a grown up. But all grown ups don't like grown ups so maybe you grow up after you have been challenged to grow up by doing grown up things like going to college, raising a child or living on your own.

For me, it was moment I no longer lived under my mother's roof. I didn't get an apartment of my own but I didn't move in with any of my mother's relatives so that meant that I could make my mother out to be the wicked witch and it would never get back to her. It meant that all the strings that once tied me down would lace no more and I could be my rebellious old self until this new person got fed up, unlike my mother who had already exceeded the maximum limit. At least that's how I thought it would be until I actually lived with my step mother. It was a totally different experience that really helped me get through high school and into college.

I found out that freedom was not foreign and you had it all until you abused it, unlike living with my mother who rationed out freedom like the last piece of bread needed to feed a family of five. Unfortunetly, these days I rarely talk to my step mother but live on the phone with my mom, who I once thought was nothing like me until I found out that we were really exactly the same.

23 years ago, someone somewhere called my mother "fas" and I'm sure they also said that I would grow up to be the same but I don't believe neither of us were. Well, let me speak for myself... I know that I did not grow up fast because I wasn't "fas," and my mother made sure of that! While in high school, I was actually considered s...l...o...w, below the average because I knew not the things mannish girls were speaking and did not partake in drug and alcohol consumption. I still to this day, have not puffed a smoke or swallowed a drink composed of hard liquor. It took me one month after my 21st birthday to have my first sip consisting of wine, which still makes me the most inexperienced amongst my peers.

Sometimes I do feel like a child when everyone around me is drunk and off their square from "grown up" things, but I have to remind myself that those people are nothing like me. They either grew up too early by smoking and drinking in high school, sneaking out of class to be with the "cool kids" or they grew up too late, pushed head first into adulthood when they came off to college and didn't know whose smoke to puff, drink to drank or bed to jump into first. But me, I surprisingly grew up just as I was supposed to... perfect! When that porridge was too hot, that porridge was too cold, this one turned out to be just right! Thank you motherS.

Comments

Don said…
An Ode to Mom(s) post. Loves it. Doesnt it seem how sometimes things come together in a way where they make perfect sense.

so that meant that I could make my mother out to be the wicked witch and it would never get back to her

Stop it. LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health