You are the company you keep


After an elongated weekend with my boyfriend, family and girlfriends who I have grown to miss, I have came to the conclusion that there will soon be a time where my girls will no longer be my girls. I mean everyone knows the "boys come and go but girlfriends are forever" saying but the saying that trumps that one is "you are the company you keep." 

I love my girls, don't get me wrong but when we all met in high school, we were one in the same. But now, eight years later, I am one of three actually doing something with their life, one of two to move out of Chicago and the only one to graduate college. It seems like the more we age, the more change. 

Without saying their names, which I rarely refer to anymore anyway, I would like to introduce you to them: the youngest is "the beauty" for she is the cutest little thing, next is the darker of us all, "the booty" because even if you think she's cute, the first thing you see is her butt so her face really doesn't matter, next is "the baby" because although she is the oldest, she has the baby face and the whinny voice so we treat her with the gentle touch and last is myself, "the brains" well simply because I went off to school and have the most common sense out of the bunch (or so I'd like to believe). 

In every group there is one friend that you are closet to and one that you are farthest from so my best friend of the group is "baby" and my least is "booty" and "beauty" is in between because she and I are the two outside the city but somehow we can never stay in touch. Whenever I'm around them, I always start to compare us and it does not surprise me that I'm slowly migrating away from the group as I am starting to hate them for the same reasons that I once loved them. 

"Beauty" will give you the shirt off of her back, which is why she is allowing her life to be ruined by her "superstar boyfriend." As much as you love someone, there are no words that can explain how stupid they are over a boy... but I guess she's stupid in love, huh? She's loved by all but loves only one... that one... why?

"Baby" loves too hard, which is why she is the only one with a child, a million "best friends" and the drama infested life. But she survives, she has survived and little does she know, she will continue to survive because she is blessed with loving family and friends who will never let her down, but she doesn't believe that so she never lets anyone go because she's scared of change. 

"Booty" I don't have too much to say about because when I transferred high schools, she was my replacement, so of course you don't like your replacement. But when I came back for my friends, they were so attached so I just accepted her as my friend even though we really would not get along under any other circumstance. But maybe I dislike her because we are the most alike. 

Who am I to keep? When I move out of state I know I'm going to want to clear out the old and start with the new but will new company develop into the old company I already have or will the old never allow me to leave. I guess I have to shut that door once I get to it and just wait and see which "company" comes back for a second visit.  

Comments

Unknown said…
I completely understand your thinking. I have recently closed the door on friends I have had for over 15 years just because my road looked different than theirs and I got tired of pretending. The great thing is that others will come into your life because you have room now. People come into your life for a reason or season. Just enjoy them for what they offer and when it becomes hard make a decision that works for you.
so true, my folk are trill and scholars, but they look at me like im the next malcom x. i just love them and would die for them, and they would do the same for me u have great friends sister
Moody: Yeah I'm trying to enjoy my time with them but the more that I am with them, the more I notice just how different we are and it bothers me. But thanks for the insight.

Torrance: I don't know if I do or not... but I definitely wouldn't die for them broads

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health