Rappers and God

So my girlfriend Meagan hates when rappers win awards and the first "person" they thank is God. She equates them saying "Without God nothing is possible" to them saying "Thank God for girls licking me like a lollipop" or "Thank God for Bust-it-Babies" when I equate their saying more to "Without God I wouldn't be alive, I wouldn't be me and I wouldn't be winning this award."

It's always funny how people interpret things differently but maybe Meagan is on to something. Can hard core rappers... or rappers in general for that matter because no rapper in the game right now is talking anything positive, but can rappers be true to thine selves AND be true to God?

Yesterday I was "reunited" with one of my old rappers friends who didn't break my heart, because we weren't those kind of friends but he did hurt my feelings once upon a time and so I hadn't talked to him in about three years until last night. One of friends saw him and sparked up a conversation about me which led to their calling. He got on the phone talking about, "Wow, I've missed you and you were so much fun to be around," which I am of course but his selective mind had only chosen to remember all the good times and not the bad ones which was the cause of us not speaking for three years.

But anyway he goes on to say, "We should keep in touch and don't you see how God works." God!?! God has nothing to do with this... I mean he has everything to do with everything but of all things to say, you say look how God works? You weren't saying that when you were kicking me out of your car in the middle of no where on my birthday three years ago. You weren't thanking God when you were smacking my hands off of your dashboard saying that I was nosey... when you took my phone and erased your number out of it so I would never call you again.

And trust me, even though I sound bitter, I am cracking up while writing this because I of all people know how to forgive and forget but he's a hard core rapper, or has been once upon a time, he has been to jail, been on the corner, been into selling drugs, has tats on his neck and all that stereotypical rapper stuff but he like all other rappers always find someway to equate God in their daily vocabulary. How interesting.

Is it hard for non celebrities (us) to believe that the people we identify as bad can actually do any good? That celebrities, amidst their bad boy persona's can have a relationship with God? But who are we to judge them anyway?

Comments

thats because we fall for the okie doke, the fatous realtity proffered via image of bad, good, hard, thubg. folk are folk when it is all reduced to flesh and blood
Don said…
You weren't saying that when you were kicking me out of your car in the middle of no where on my birthday three years ago. You weren't thanking God when you were smacking my hands off of your dashboard saying that I was nosey... when you took my phone and erased your number out of it so I would never call you again.


Hold up...let me read that again to make sure I read what I just read.
Don said…
okay, let me ask you something - is dude blind?

I think God will be the final judge of everyone.
Torrance I'm not so sure if its the image of bad that makes us label people bad or if it's the image of bad that makes people want to be bad... if that makes sense.

And Don yes he was blind... lol, nah pretty doesn't matter when you're a rapper. They think they can do and say whatever to whoever and get away with it.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health