shhhh

As a reporter, I have conquered the skill of listening. It is my recall that needs work.
I am really into music.
I sing aloud when I am afraid.
I want to learn the piano.
But it is during silence that the most interesting sounds really come to life.

I almost had a full day of silence today. Granted it's only 3pm but I showered in silence, when I am usually accompanied by music. I drove 50 miles in complete silence. Only the conversations in my head and the rolling of the tires graced my ears. An occasional horn and of course a guest appearance from the tapping of my blackberry keypad were added to the otherwise peaceful and quiet drive.

On the way home I stopped at a thrift store to purchase some books that someone decided were no longer of any use to them. Books that can now be of new use to me. Books that I can read in my new found appreciation for silence. All I want to hear are the syllables bouncing from the right side of my brain to the left. The pages thinning as I turn the page, the bind bending as get more involved, the words whispering to me.

I made it home and began to eat in silence but the enhanced sound of me chewing was a little awkward so I gave myself a break and watched a little television before I went to my bedroom. The bedroom that holds a large television covered in dust because it is rarely ever used. The bedroom that holds a bookshelf with no books because they are all on the floor surrounding my bed. The bedroom closest to the neighbor's barking dogs that break the silence needed to sleep...

I retreat to the treat of silence whenever I can, so that I may enhance my much needed skill of listening, for it is during silence that the most interesting sounds come to life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health