Generation I

I was listening to the radio with my Dad last week and I, of all people, shook my head at the ridiculousity that is getting radio play. I told him that I felt sorry for my child because I can only imagine how terrible music will be when she is a teenager. My Dad said they won't even be singing/rapping then. They just gone get on and say "tweet me, text me; tweet me, text me." Sad case indeed.

He then went on to say that there will still be R&B, Blues and Jazz and I honestly begged to differ. Who is making music like that right now? Not nobody! There is no Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill and Gerald Levert of my generation and there damn sure won't be any for my daughters'. Although Tyrese, Ginuwine and Tank tried to duplicate LSG with TGT, neither one of the groups had any success after their debut song. LSG's was My Body, what was TGT's? Exactly.

These poor children will never feel the way we felt when we first heard the hottest slow jam or even better, when we heard our parent's favorite slow jams. Whose going to carry the torch for the Internet Generation? Will there even be a radio then? Ok, maybe I'm going to far now... but for real.

Comments

Don said…
Hella funny. And your dad has a point.

So that's why Tank, Tyrese, Ginuwine all stood together at the recent BET music awards? Like you stated, I hadn't heard anything in the form of a hit record or anything. Gerald Levert was sooo underrated and the song Just Can't Help Myself is one of my fave songs, ever.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health