Text Message 101

Okay class, lets get straight to it. This is Text Message 101 so take out your mobile devices and listen carefully.

Rule #1: Keep it light, keep it simple.
If you're writing a book, write it! Don't be sending me a broken up seven message story. It's freaking rude first of all and secondly it defeats the purpose of a text message. Merriam-Webster defines a text message as: "a short message sent electronically usually from one cell phone to another." Key word kids: SHORT.

#2: Do not use texting for messages that can be misinterpreted.
If you get all serious after they have made a joke, don't get mad when they respond with an "LOL," how did they know you switched it up and got touched? Don't text sarcastically or emotionally, the reader will never be able to identify which is which. The emoticon can not replace emotion, your voice is still the key. 

#3: If you have a new phone number, identify yourself!
Start the message with "Hi this is mariah"... not "Hey girl, this is my new number, lock me in." IF, and that's a big if, I am in a good mood I will respond asking who you are. If not, forget you and your new number because you're clearly too stupid to realize that you just contradicted yourself. I don't have the time, nor do I care to spend the time figuring out who yo' dumb ass is.

#4: Do be conscious of other people's schedules.
Just because you are available to "talk" via text does not mean that I am. The message is instant, so yes I got it but I may be too busy to read or respond so don't be blowing me up if I don't respond immediately. I don't know how many times a fool has woken me out of my sleep with the constant beep, beep, beeping of a text. At that point, I don't respond on purpose. If it were that serious, you should have called.

#5: Do spell correctly.
Now this class is reminiscent of English 101. If you know how to spell it right, do so. If you don't know how to spell it, turn your spell check on. There is no reason why you should have a misspelled word in 2012. Cheat words are acceptable: LOL and SMH not lafin ou loud and shkn mi hed... that's just plain dumb.

That's all for now, please go forth and text the gospel. Oh, don't drive while texting and wash your hands after sexting. Class dismissed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health