It's different when it's your own

If the good Lord didn't bless me with such a beautiful and healthy baby I would still be one of those hard-asses who despises parents that spoil their children and snarl at the sight of a child throwing a temper tantrum in public. But, as I come to you tonight, typing this very post with one hand because my spoiled baby is in my other hand, I sadly admit that I finally understand the saying "It's different when it's your own."

Although I would never intentionally harm my God son or any of my siblings for that matter, I have to admit, I have been a little hard on them simply because I hate bad kids and I would (normally) do anything to make them strong and selective in their reason for crying. But now as I am going into my 10th week of being a first time mother to an uber spoiled baby girl, I can't imagine punishing my child with my strict beliefs simply because her father and I have spoiled her.

In my defense though, the doctor said "breastfed babies tend to be spoiled because of the body to body interaction during feeding time." So I have MY excuse, her father on the other hand has single handedly (wink wink) ruined my poor child and finagled her mind into thinking that she should cry for nothing, when Lord knows every child isn't always crying for a reason.

My daughter is only a baby so her tantrums in public are easily brushed off with a little stroller rocking and a smile but as she ages that act will be a complete embarrassment for me because she has the lungs of an opera singer and it ain't getting no easier no time soon. I can only pray she learns some self control because mean God mommy and the disciplinary big sister has been replaced by the one armed multitasking mother of big mouthed Mallory.

I can only sigh and shake my head as I admit, "It's different when it's your own."

Comments

MAJ25 said…
I think about the same thing! Since I've been a nanny, babysitter, teacher, aunt and godmother I wonder how I will be when Im a mother!
Lisa said…
You sound like me. I swear I used to tell my cousin that my child WILL NOT be like her demon seeds, but as my son's god mother you know first hand that he is a little terror. To quote you " its different when its your own."
Meagan you are going to add another title on to that list and it will different from any other title you have ever held.

Lisa, you're little cousins are something but so is that child of yours lol

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health