"To Jam or not to Jam," church edition

So I went to this church yesterday for the second time since moving back to Atlanta. The very first time I went, I was pretty impressed at the abundance of people, especially young people up bright and early for the Lord. But with yesterday being my second time there, I see why I liked it so much the first time and why all the young people gather there week after week. They dilute the good word with the glitz and glam.

Now I am in no way trying to be struck down by lightning nor am I trying to discredit the church for their hefty turnouts but I am saying that golf cart rides from the parking lot to the front door, a cool cafe and a kids play room would sway favor from the best of them. And don't get me started on the service... smh, lets just say it is a drastic change from the quiet, organized hymn singing, Bible based word I grew up on.

There was a live band, composed of young adults singing three VERY LOUD and interactive gospel songs before the preacher jumps on stage with his blue jeans and blazer. He only spoke for maybe a half an hour, running off scriptures and telling good jokes only to make way for another performance from the band. That concert, I mean that church was very interesting (to say the least), but I am a little too old to be swayed by bright lights and catchy songs. I have real problems so I need real help, not a jam session.

Comments

TamaraM said…
Haaaa! I read it to mom and she was cracking up! Praise Him! Going to the Hall in the morning myself.

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health