Show some SIUC love

I began this week by sending out all of the emails in my draft folder. It held heart felt memories and many thanks to the teachers at Southern Illinois University Carbondale who have greatly impacted my life. I didn't want anything in return, just simply writing to let them know I learned, I remember and I appreciate. You should take a minute out of your busy schedule to do the same.

It is so easy for us to criticize our institution of learning asking why didn't we have that big fancy library when we were there or trying to recall when in the hell we used a fraction since Mathematics 101. But when we realize that there were some lessons, some classes, some teachers that we couldn't have succeeded without, we should let them know.

My top three are Dr. Jonathan Bean for his Business History class, Dr. Pamela Smoot for her African American History and Professor William Recktenwald, my teacher in many journalism classes, my adviser in The National Association of Black Journalists and my personal mentor. I definitely would not have enjoyed school as much as I did without the valuable information and life lessons learned from these three wonderful people (and the men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Beta Eta chapter, of course).

Comments

Lisa said…
This post definitely inspired me to reach out and thank the instructors/mentors that influenced me!

Popular posts from this blog

Being an old souled Mother to this new generation of kids

Tunnel Vision

In Thickness and in Health